Simple Home Remedies for Itchy Skin
Itchy skin, also known as pruritus, is an irritating feeling which makes you want to scratch to relieve yourself of the feeling. The possible reasons for itchiness range from internal illnesses, like kidney or liver disease, to dermatitis, skin rashes and allergies.
Listed below are the possible causes of itchy skin:
- Dry skin:If there are no crops of bright, red bumps or any other dramatic change visible in the itchy area, then you can deduce the cause to be dry skin. Dry skin results due to environmental factors like long-term use of air conditioning or central heating, hot or cold weather with low humidity and washing or bathing more than necessary.
- Skin conditions and rashes:Numerous skin conditions itch, including eczema, lice, chickenpox, psoriasis, scabies, and hives. The itching generally affects particular areas and is accompanied by other signs, like bumps and blisters or red, irritated skin.
- Internal diseases:These include kidney failure, iron deficiency anemia, liver disease, malabsorption of wheat, thyroid problems and cancers, including leukemia and lymphoma. These itches usually affect the entire body. The skin appears normal except for continually scratched areas.
- Nerve disorders:Conditions which have an effect on the nervous system like diabetes mellitus, pinched nerves, multiple sclerosis and shingles cause itching.
- Irritation and allergic reactions:Irritation of skin caused due to chemicals, wool, soaps and other substances causes itching. At times some substances, like poison ivy or cosmetics, trigger an allergic reaction. Food allergies can also cause skin to itch.
Listed below are some home remedies for itchy skin:
Clay is an ingredient which is highly beneficial as it cures itching and several other skin conditions like acne. It specializes in healing venomous stings and bites. Bees, wasps and spiders are some of the insects that bite and sting. Clay assists by drawing out the venom and helps alleviate the pain so that the skin can heal better and quickly.
Mix some clay in a bowl with distilled water and keep mixing till the consistency is like that of peanut butter. Apply the paste on the areas where it is itching and let it dry. Either rinse it off or peel it off later. Spread clay on a porous fabric and tie it to the irritated area. You can also use a bandage. Keep this clay pack for 4 hours or till the clay becomes dry.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effective anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antiseptic agent which relieves itching. It is especially useful when the itching is associated dry skin. It is popularly used for pets with dry, itchy skin. Add a few cup apple cider vinegar to their bath water.
Take a few drops on a cotton ball or washcloth and apply it on the affected area. You should use raw, organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. It has strand-like sediment floating at the base of the bottle and contains beneficial bacteria and raw enzymes. This is one of the best home remedies for itchy skin as it makes skin smooth and soft.