Inversion Table – The Comprehensive Buying Guide
Table of Contents
- What Is An Inversion Table?
As someone, who suffers from back or joint pain, you likely understand how debilitating such an illness can be. Back pain up shoot up through your body and leave you immobile. Thankfully, there are numerous ways to deal with such a problem, but some techniques are a little safer and more effective than others. This is especially true, when it comes to the utilization of an inversion table. These specific products are capable of providing the user with numerous benefits, including relief from back pain and joint pressure. Of course, the benefits do not stop there. Within this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn about the enormous inversion table benefits and how to utilize one effectively.
What Is An Inversion Table?
First and foremost, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the inversion table. What is it and how does it work? Well, these tables utilize gravity to help reduce the amount of pressure on the user’s spine. They tilt the user at an angle, while propelling them off of the ground. This helps to stretch the entire body, soothe the muscles, and decompress the spine. Although these products are not suitable for everyone, some individuals can benefit enormously from the use of an inversion table.
Consult A Doctor
It is absolutely essential to remember that not all of these products are suitable for everyone. Some individuals, depending on their current health status, may put themselves in harm’s way, by using an inversion table. If you have any of the problems listed below, you should consult with your primary health provider, before using one of these tables.
- Heart disease
Otherwise, the inversion table can be immensely helpful and entirely safe.
There are many consumers, who are skeptical of the effectiveness of these products. Many still share the question, do inversion tables work? This is undoubtedly a major mistake, since inversion therapy has been utilized for an extensive period of time and even dates back to early 400 BC. This specific form of treatment requires the user to have upside down or at a specific angle. Various research studies have been conducted regarding the overall effectiveness of this form of therapy and the mass majority of them concluded that it does work. However, proper utilization is required, in order for the product to be beneficial.
A recent study observed the effects of 175 people using an inversion table. In the end, 155 people were able to use and benefit from the table. So, it can be effective, but many suggest the benefits are only temporary.
How To Use An Inversion Table
In order to benefit most from one of these tables, it is absolutely essential to learn how to utilize one properly. If the table is used irregularly and not as intended, you risk unnecessary injury. It is also important to remember that these products should not be used to replace the treatment plans set forth by your medical doctor. When you’re ready to begin, you’ll want to make sure your inversion table is positioned strategically. A sufficient amount of room is required, in order for the table to flip around fully. This will prevent you from banging your head into a bookcase or table. Once you’ve found a suitable amount of space, you’ll want to follow the guide below to begin using your table efficiently.
- Configure the height of your table. Each inversion table will come with a few height settings and you’ll want to make sure it is adjusted appropriately to your specifications to achieve optimum effectiveness. Usually, the adjustment can be made by turning a twist knob, but you may need to refer to your table’s manual for the specifics.
- Once the height has been adjusted, you’ll want to alter the incline. Generally, it is best to start off with the minimum and begin working your way up over a period of time. This will prevent shock and will give you the ability to ease into the process slowly.
- Now, it is time to get yourself secured onto the table. First, you should slowly climb onto the table and secure your feet into place. You’ll need to sit up, in order to reach down and secure your feet. This may seem awkward and scary at first, but it’ll become much more comfortable with practice and experience. In the beginning, you may want to get assistance from a friend or family member.
- Once you’re strapped in, you’ll want to go ahead and tilt yourself backwards. Remember that you shouldn’t remain in this position for more than 15 minutes. After the duration has passed or you feel you’ve had enough, you’ll want to swing yourself back upward and remove yourself from the table.
Remember that it is wise to start with the lowest incline possible and work your way upward over a duration of time. As someone, who is new to inversion therapy, it might be a good idea to keep your inverted sessions to a minimum of 5 minutes of less. With time, you’ll become more comfortable with the concept and process, so you’ll be able to set your own personal limitations.
Inversion Table For Back Pain
In general, the most common use for an inversion table is to treat back pain. This obviously isn’t the only want to use the table, but it is one of the most common. The overall effectiveness depends on who you ask. However, the aforementioned study concluded that the mass majority of users will be able to experience benefits, even if for a temporary period of time. The concept involves gravity taking pressure off of the disks and roots within your spine, while increasing the distance between the vertebrae. In the end, the activity stretches the spine and helps to alleviate back pain.
Although not everyone will experience long-term relief from the use of inversion therapy, the mass majority of user will at least feel better for the short-term. And, it is absolutely essential to remember that the results can vary from one patient to the next.
Although these tables are primarily used for the relief of back and joint paint, the possibilities are nearly endless. In fact, some people utilize these products, as a way to maintain and potentially even extend their heights. Some athletes use the tables to enhance the overall effectiveness of their crunches and sit ups. So, these products are not limited to those suffering from back problems.
Gain Some Inches
It is a fact that growing older means that you are going to lose a few centimeters on your height. While, this may not seem like a big deal for some people, but it can cause some confusion with someone of a short stature. Well, this potential problem can be eliminated with an inversion table. These tables are designed to help stretch the spine by suspending the individual upside down at a 180-degree angle. There are many benefits to using this table, but one thing is for sure it can help you gain a few centimeters on your height and prevent your body from shrinking.
Everyone experiences a little tightness in their joints and muscles occasionally. Of course, there are those that suffer from musculoskeletal disorders that cause mild to moderate pain, stiff joints, and poor circulation. While many victims of these disorders turn to heating pads and pain medications, others will turn to the inversion table. Many medical experts highly recommend using the table on a routine basis. Not only will inverting your body relieve pressure on the vertebrae ligaments and discs, but it can help reduce inflammation and pain.
Improving Athletic Performance
Athletes are constantly in the gym, preparing for an upcoming event or just trying to keep their body in shape. Where there will come a time, when these active individuals begin to experience pain in the joints and lumbar region. Instead of halting their workout, they often choose inversion, because it aids in boosting the blood circulation, especially to the lower body. Inverting can also improve flexibility and athletic performance and you do not need to stay in this position for extended periods of time for it to be effective.
More Difficult Exercises
After working out for years, athletes begin tire of the traditional weight bench. Strengthening the abs can be challenging, but if you truly desire a six pack, you should invest in an inversion table. You can position your body on the table at 180 degrees and perform sit ups and crunches. Of course, these exercises are not going to be for everyone, because they will require a lot of strength and endurance to perform correctly. You can adjust the inversion table to match your athletic ability, eventually working your way up to the 180-degree angle.
Reduces Arthritic Symptoms
Millions of people of all age groups suffer from some form of arthritis. Not only does this disease cause severe pain, but it can cause disabilities. Instead of giving up hope and letting your disease control every aspect of your life, you should consider investing in an inversion table. Many victims will resort to pain medications and corticosteroids, while others will try to endure to suffering. Believe it or not, an inversion table can offer you natural pain relief and reduce the inflammation in your joints. By inverting the body, the lymphatic system can drain more effectively, reducing the lactic acid that is responsible for the pain that you are exhibiting.
Poor posture is a thing that many people do not think of very often. With the introduction of ergonomics, the risk of developing poor posture at some point has been reduced significantly. In today’s world, young children and adults will spend hours sitting in awkward positions, playing their favorite video games or working on the computer. After years of sitting and standing in the incorrect position, there is no doubt that your vertebrae will become compressed and misaligned.
Once you decide that it is time to change your bad habits, you will need to take the time to learn more about ergonomics and its many benefits. Inversion therapy is one of the quickest methods that will correct spinal misalignment. Of course, many people will prefer chiropractic therapy for this purpose, but for those that do not healthcare coverage this option will not be available to them. An inversion table is very affordable and can be utilized right in the comfort of your own home.
By inverting on the table for 10-15 minutes 1-2 times a day, you will see improvement in your posture. You will need to be diligent and dedicated to this therapy, if you expect to see results. Stick with the recommended workout and you will see obvious results in as a little as a few weeks.
Instead of jumping on the sofa and taking a nap after your workout, you should consider jumping on an inversion table. By doing this you will be helping your muscles relax and improving your circulation. A strenuous workout can be wonderful for your health, but it can put a lot of stress on your musculoskeletal system. Boosting the blood flow throughout your body will aid in recovery and reduce any muscle stiffness or pain that you are exhibiting.
This method has been utilized for many years, by the U.S. Army Rangers and now it is available to you. An inversion table will offer multiple inversion position for you to choose from, so you are not going to be forced to jump right into the 180-degree angle.
When you get older, your body functions will begin to slow. Peristalsis is the gastrointestinal way of moving the byproducts out of your body. The muscle fibers in the intestinal tract propel forward to push the wastes out of the colon until it is expelled from the body. When the peristalsis process slows down the wastes will back up in the colon and cause constipation or impaction.
Instead of relying on laxatives, you should rely on inversion. Inversion therapy will enhance peristalsis, which in turn will push the trapped fecal matter down the intestines and out the rectum.
Tips For Buying An Inversion Table
When scouring through the market and reading the best inversion table reviews, you’ll find that the market is slightly oversaturated and this can make the selection process incredibly difficult. Another factor, which can further complicate the process, is that the best table for a specific individual will depend solely on that individual’s needs, desires, and budget. With this in mind, you’ll want to refer to the factors below to make sure you get the best product possible for you and your specific situation.
- Inversion Possibilities – First and foremost, it is absolutely vital to make sure your inversion table offers a handful of incline options. You’ll want to be able to control and manipulate the incline degree as you go and it is often wise to start with more shallow angles, until you’ve become use to being upside down. The table should be equipped with a turn knob or similar mechanism, which makes it quick and easy to adjust the incline.
- Frame Specifications – Another thing to take into account is the frame itself. Each frame will be limited to some degree, so you’ll need to find one that is capable of accommodating your weight and height. Read the specifications carefully and make sure your weight and height fits within the compatibility levels for the table in question.
- Materials – In order to use your inversion table freely and without concerns, you’ll want to make sure it is incredibly stable and very durable. So, looking closing at the material used to construct the product is a necessity. If you opt for a cheaper, plastic table, you may be putting yourself in unnecessary danger. Don’t skimp on your safety! Make sure you spend extra for more solid and reliable materials, so you’ll be able to use the table as much as you like, without any concerns or risks. A heavy-duty steel frame is highly recommended.
- Size – Inversion tables can be very big and not all consumers will have enough room within their dwellings to store one of these products. Others will have limited space and may end up having to use their table outside. Still, it is often best to purchase an inversion table that has a larger footprint, as this will help to make it much more stable. If you wish to exercise and do sit ups, while inclined, a bigger footprint is truly a necessity. Just make sure you’ll have enough space to store it away, after the exercise has concluded for the day.
- Foldability – Some of these tables are big, but many manufacturers have discovered ways to keep the size to a minimum. Some tables can be folded down, so they can be stored away more easily. If you happen to have limited space within your home, you’ll definitely want to select an inversion table, which can be folded, so you can condense it down to the bare minimum.
- Weight – In all likelihood, you’re purchasing an inversion table for the treatment of your back pain. If this is the case, you won’t want to further injury yourself, during the transportation and storage of your table. So, examining the overall weight of the assembled table is pertinent. Make sure that you’ll be able to move it back and forth, without much effort. Otherwise, you may need to get help from a friend, once you’ve finished using the table each day. If you intend to leave the table in place, the weight won’t be an inssue.
- Clamps And Platform – The clamps and platform are two of the most pertinent aspects of the inversion table, since they keep you in place, once you’ve been flipped upside down. You’ll want to make sure that the clamps will fit your feet and will allow you to remain upside comfortably. If you’re uncomfortable with the thought of being locked down by your ankles, you may want to purchase an inversion table with a padded knee bar instead.
- Motor Or Manual – If you’re willing to spend a little more and want the best experience possible, you may want to make the upgrade to a motorized inversion table. The cheaper tables force the user to rotate the bed manually. Motorized tables will perform this maneuver automatically with a simple switch. Although this is not a necessity, the motor-powered functionality is definitely a nice addition, if you’re willing to splurge.
- Back Padding – Another thing to look at is the unit’s back padding. Initially, you may believe that thicker is always better, but this isn’t always the case. Quality should be given more emphasis and weight than quantity. Also, be sure to look for pads that have a notch near the top. This will give you the ability to utilize the table, while facing downward too. And finally, some of these tables are equipped with removable pads. This is a good option for those that want the freedom to utilize the table however they desire.
- Vibrating Pads – Some of the higher end inversion tables come equipped with vibrating pads. This is a good addition for those that will be primarily utilizing the table to relief their back pain. The vibration can help to make the table a little more effective for eliminating soreness and pain.
- Hand Brake – If you believe you’re going to have difficulty getting on and off the table, you will want to consider investing in one that has a handbrake. This add-on might be minor, but it can prove to be very helpful. It’ll give you the ability to keep the table steady, while you secure and unsecure yourself from the platform.
- Price – When it comes down to it, prices for inversion tables can vary greatly. This is great, since it gives consumers the ability to find a solid table, which also meets their budget requirements. However, it is vital to remember that paying extra is often recommended. The utilization of a cheap, unsteady table can be incredibly dangerous! Spending a little extra for additional safety and peace of mind is highly recommended and will give you the ability to use the table to fullest.