Effective Home Remedies for Indigestion
Indigestion refers to instances when one’s digestive system faces difficulty while trying to digest the food one consumed. A feeling of being bloated or full is experienced by individuals who are suffering from indigestion. A great deal of discomfort is experienced by individuals while or after consuming their meals, if they happen to suffer from indigestion. In some cases indigestion leads to severe abdominal pain. This condition is also referred to as dyspepsia and is experienced by every individual at some point in life.
Indigestion can also be an indication of diseases such as GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, gallbladder disease, gastric cancer, peptide ulcers or abnormalities of the pancreas or bile duct. Contrary to popular belief indigestion is not an entirely independent condition as it occurs as a result of the aforementioned diseases and conditions. This health condition may also stem from irregular eating habits. Eating habits that are not fixed in terms of time and quantity often result in indigestion. Home remedies for indigestion can help curb its uncomfortable symptoms.
Symptoms of indigestion
Other causes of indigestion
- Eating quickly without chewing well
- Lying down immediately after meals
- Consuming fatty or spicy foods
Other factors that contribute to indigestion
- Adverse effects of medication such as ibuprofen and aspirin
- Excessive smoking
- Consumption of excessive amounts of alcohol
Effective home remedies
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV or apple cider vinegar has the ability to work wonders for indigestion. ACV is rich in acidic properties however, once consumed it has an alkalizing effect on one’s digestive system. For rapid relief and best results 1tbsp apple cider vinegar should be mixed with 250ml water and 1 tsp honey. This mixture should be consumed three times a day.
- Ginger: Ginger acts as a stimulator of digestive enzymes which is why it effectively provides relief during indigestion. This one ingredient is the best among the various home remedies for indigestion. Individuals who religiously chew salt sprinkled ginger slices after consuming their meals are less prone to indigestion. Ginger can also be consumed in the form of juice when 2 tsp ginger juice is mixed with 1tsp of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and black salt.
- Carom Seeds: Carom seeds are also referred to as Bishop’s weed. These seeds are renowned for their carminative properties. This is precisely why they are also used to treat indigestion and its various symptoms. Diarrhea and flatulence can also be combated by consuming carom seeds. Take ½ tsp of carom seeds and chew until the seeds disintegrate and dissolve. This is a sure-fire way of curing all symptoms related to indigestion.
- Cinnamon: This spice tastes great and works absolute wonders for indigestion. Cramps and bloating can both be treated by consuming cinnamon. This spice also aides the process of digestion making it all the more potent and popular. Boil one cup of water and add ½ tsp of cinnamon powder to it. Stir briskly and consume while it is still hot.