Common Home Remedies for Ear Infections
Ear infections are caused by viruses or bacteria and affect the middle ear. Children have more chances of suffering from ear infections than compared to adults. Some causes or factors which contribute in occurrence of ear infections are upper respiratory infections, wax buildup, environmental allergies, food allergies, genetics, fetal alcohol syndrome, internal injuries and nutritional deficiencies. Some common signs which show that an individual is suffering from an ear infection are tugging at the ear, pain in the ear, headache, and difficulty in sleeping, high fever, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting, diarrhea and poor response to sounds.
Ear infections can occur in any one of the three parts of an ear. The most serious infections are the caused in the inner ear. It is imperative to treat an ear infection so that one does not face any complications, like rupturing or damaging the ear drum. When they are left untreated they appear chronically and can result in deafness. You can consult a doctor if it is an emergency however; to immediately relief yourself of pain, you can try some natural treatments. There are many time-honored, simple and easy home remedies for ear infections that help to get rid of the pain.
Salt is one of the most readily available ingredients for home remedy. Heat a cup of salt for three to five minutes. Next, put the hot salt inside a thick cloth like a sock. Use a rubber band or tie a knot to seal the open end. When it is hot, lie down and place the cloth on the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat daily and as many times as needed. The heat generated helps in drawing out the fluid from the ear, and relieves swelling and pain.
Garlic has numerous antimicrobial properties and is a natural pain reliever. These qualities make it a highly effective ingredient for treatment of ear infections. There are a few ways to use garlic as a home treatment.
- Make garlic oil: Cook two cloves of garlic with two tbsp of sesame oil or mustard oil. Cook till the cloves turn black. Strain the solution. Let it cool down a bit and drop two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear.
- Another method is to boil two or three fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes. Next, crush them and add a pinch of salt. Place the mixture in a clean cloth and place the cloth against the affected ear.
Use basil to treat minor earache and ear infections. It relieves ear pain simultaneously reducing the infection. Due to its uses and benefits this is one of the best home remedies for ear infections.
- Mix a few drops of basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil. Coconut oil is a fine example of carrier oil. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture. Gently wipe the cotton ball inside the ear and around the outer edge. Also apply behind the ear. Repeat this process twice daily.
Feel free to share this knowledge with your friends or react to the publication by leaving a comment. Every days you are more and more numerous to join the community!
We exceeded 3 million of visitors the last month! Thank you all for your support and don't hesitate to follow us on our new facebook and twitter accounts!
Latest posts by The Team (see all)
- Vyvanse Coupon – A Comprehensive Guide For Saving And Use - August 7, 2016
- Does Vyvanse Expire – A Look At Vyvanse And Its Shelf Life - August 7, 2016
- Understanding The Dangers And Risks Of Snorting Vyvanse - August 7, 2016