Mucus-producing membranes are present in the lining of certain passages in the human body. The respiratory and digestive tracts have mucus lining for protection and support. It is made up a mixture of water, sugar and proteins. Mucus and phlegm are the same substances and their names vary due to their location of occurrence and presence.
Phlegm more than often comes with colds and other upper respiratory infections. It might not be a serious problem but it should not be avoided. It is necessary to receive treatment for phlegm. With time it can clog and irritate the bronchial tubes resulting in a secondary upper respiratory infection. Dealing with phlegm can be extremely wearisome and apparently never finishing. There are some effective, natural home remedies for mucus that work quickly and do not cause any side effects.
Inhaling steam is the best way of getting rid of unwanted phlegm from the body. Steam is hot so it forces the phlegm in the nasal passage to stay in the liquid form. This phlegm can be removed by breathing heavily. Thus, phlegm is removed from the entire system.
- Take a steam shower two times daily. Operate your shower at the highest temperature settings you can bear. Stay in the steamy bathroom for 10 minutes and help in breakdown of the mucus. Later moisturize your body and as hot water showers result in low moisture levels of the skin.
- Another method is to pour hot boiling water in a big bowl. Hold a towel or any other cloth over your head like a tent so that it covers both your head and the big bowl. Inhale the steam for five to ten minutes. This helps in reducing the accumulations of secretions in your lungs. Perform this simple remedy as many times as you want.
Gargling with warm water which has slat dissolved in it is another easy and fool proof way to treat phlegm. Warm water soothes the irritation of throat, salt helps in destroying the bacteria that is the reason behind this infection you are suffering from.
- Mix a pinch of salt in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with the concoction.
- Repeat this remedy for several days, several times a day.
Lemon is one of the best substances for loosening mucus or phlegm. Adding to it lemon’s antibacterial property and high vitamin C content, the condition of the body significantly improves and the body becomes more resistant to infections. All these properties of lemon make it one of the best home remedies for mucus.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and two teaspoons of lemon juice to a glass of hot water. Drink this mixture at least three times a day as it provides a soothing sensation to your throat and reduces production of phlegm.
- Another simple method is to cut a slice of lemon. Next, sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on it. Then, suck on this lemon slice. It helps force the phlegm out of your throat and system. Repeat this two or three times a day.