A cough or tissus is a reflex that humans and animals have when they have to clear their throat and their breathing passage. The passage might be blocked by microbes, foreign particles, fluids, and irritants. A cough is a rapid expulsion of air from the lungs. Coughing can be done involuntarily or deliberately.
There are 3 phases to the reflex, cough:
- Inhalation (breathing in)
- A forced exhalation where the glottis is closed. The glottis is located close to the vocal chords. It is the mid section of the larynx.
- A volatile release of air when the glottis opens. This cough has a typical sound.
If your infant is coughing a lot then it is possible that he/she is suffering from a disease and coughing is a sign of this disease. Germs are dependent on coughs, as with the sudden release of air they can reach new hosts. In most of the cases coughing can be related to any ailment of the respiratory tract. It can be a simple cold or might be connected to choking, smoking, post nasal drip, chronic bronchitis or a tumor in the lungs. A cough is a natural reflex so efforts to stop it should not be made.
In case your infant starts coughing all of a sudden, you should not panic. Do not over think. Try to comfort the baby and get the coughing to stop. Try giving infants water to pacify their throat. If coughing persists and you know that it is due to cold, try using a cough syrup for infants. Cough syrups can be bought at any local pharmacy store. Read the instruction regarding dosage carefully before giving the cough syrup to your baby.
Classification of coughs
- Acute cough – this cough starts suddenly and lasts for up to 3 weeks.
- Sub acute cough – this cough also starts suddenly and might last from three to eight weeks.
- Chronic cough – this type of cough continues for over 8 weeks.
- Productive cough – in this type of cough stuff comes up the respiratory tract. Sputum is a fine example.
- Dry cough – a cough which does not bring up anything.
- Nocturnal cough – occurs only at night.
If your baby continues coughing for more than a day contact your doctor straightaway. It is possible that your child may not be suffering from any serious ailment. Since, it is better to be safe than sorry ask your doctor to perform any necessary checkups to determine the cause of cough of your baby. Cough syrup formula suggested by the doctor should be implemented. Cough syrups do not stop the cough but induce sleepiness in the individual who consumes it. Cough syrup for infants should be chosen with care as parents do not know the chemicals or substances that their baby is allergic to.
A patient who consumes cough syrup drifts off to a cough less sleep that allows the body to recuperate and rest. Sleep is necessary for patients as a tired body requires even more care and comfort than a healthy and fit body.