Jock itch is a type of ringworm and is also referred to as Tinea Cruris. Jock itch is observed as a rash that occurs in the groin area and upper thigh region. The primary cause behind this rash is fungus, while contributing factors are bacterial overgrowth, moisture and irritation. Jock itch is observed mostly in males; however females can also develop this form of rash. Athletes and adult males are more prone to suffering from jock itch. Males who suffer from this condition are perfectly healthy and often show no signs of other ailments.
Jock itch can be prevented easily through good personal and skin hygiene. Limiting the growth of fungus and bacteria is a priority hence, topical anti fungal creams and home remedies for jock itch focus on eradication of these germs. In most cases this rash gradually disappears on its own. However, if one is suffering from a resistant jock itch one should employ a home remedy. The reason why home remedies are suggested is because topical creams and oral medication used for treating jock itch may both have adverse effects on one’s health.
Most common symptoms of jock itch
Some of the most common symptoms that are associated with jock itch are:
- Slight inflammation
- Rash in folds of groin that is usually red or pink in color
- Bumps and blisters
- Flaking skin
Effective home remedies for Tinea Cruris
- Tea Tree Oil: This oil is loaded with antifungal and antibacterial properties which are potent enough to exhibit results from the very first application. Tea Tree oil has a soothing effect and the burning sensation and inflammation which jock itch causes, is reduced by it almost instantaneously.
For topical application one should use a cotton ball and dab this oil directly on to the affected areas. The cotton ball should be discarded right away as jock itch may be mildly contagious.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: With its antifungal and antibacterial properties apple cider vinegar proves to be a potent remedy not just for jock itch but also for other skin infections.
For application a solution needs to be created. One should mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with a cup of lukewarm water. This solution should then be used to wash the affected areas and should be allowed to dry. Following this remedy three times a day and without fail before bedtime will cure jock itch in little to no time.
- Listerine: Provides excellent results for jock itch as well as athlete’s foot. The amber variant should be applied directly on to the infected areas using a cotton ball. This variant contains antibacterial and antifungal agents. A stinging sensation may be experienced initially; however this sensation will subside soon along with inflammation and soreness. Application should be repeated twice each day until the rash is completely cured.
- Rubbing Alcohol: Among all the home remedies for jock itch this is the one that works the quickest. 90 % isopropyl alcohol is rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties. It has the ability to kill fungi instantly. It should be applied directly on the rash using a cotton ball.